Source: Huo Xiang (Herba Pogostemonis) is sourced from the aerial parts of the perennial herb Pogostemon cabin (Blanco) Benth. The harvested medicial material is cut into segments and used either fresh or dried.
Category: Damp resolving or damp transforming.
Common Name: Patchouli or Pogostemon.
Channels Entered: Spleen, Stomach and Lung.
- Dispelling dampness and releasing the exterior.
- Harmonising the middle jiao to stop nausea and vomiting.
- Treats dermatosis.
Indications: The main clinical indications for the use of Huo Xiang are:
- Dampness and qi stagnation obstructing the middle jiao, summer-heat dampness and warmth-dampness.
- Nausea, vomiting and morning sickness.
- Dermatosis affecting either the hands or feet.
Dosage: 3 – 15g
Cautions and Contra-Indications: This herb is contra-indicated for cases presenting with blazing fire from yin deficiency.