Zhi Mu (Rhizoma Anemarrhenae) is the rhizome of Anemarrhena asphodeloides Bunge. After harvesting, the medicinal material is sun-dried and cut into pieces. It can also be stir-baked with a salt solution.
Category: Heat-clearing & fire-draining.
Common Name: Anemarrhena Rhizome.
Channels Entered: Lung, Stomach and Kidney.
Properties and Functions: Zhi Mu (Rhizoma Anemarrhenae) is bitter and sweet in flavour and cold in nature. Its main functions are:
- Clearing Heat and draining Fire.
- Nourishing Yin and moistening Dryness.
- Generating fluids to clear Heat.
- For over-abundant pathogenic Heat presenting as high fever, irritability, thirst and a rapid pulse.
- Cough due to Lung-Heat or dry cough due to Yin-deficiancy, often accomanied by a dry throat.
- Hyperactivity of Fire due to Yin-deficiency causing hectic fever, night sweats, ‘steaming bones’ and restlessness.
- Yin deficiency diabetes presenting with thirst due to consumption of body fluids, constipation along with oral ulcers and inflammation.
Dosage: 6 – 12g
Cautions and Contra-Indications: Contraindicated for patients with Spleen and Stomach deficiency cold and also for patients with diarrhoea.