Yi Yi Ren (Semen Coicis) is sourced from the dried mature seed of Coixlacrymajobi, family Gramineae. The fruits are collected in the autumn when ripe. They are then shelled, dried in the sun and peeled to obtain the seeds. It is used either in its raw form or after being stir baked.
Category: Damp resolving – diuretic.
Common Name: Coix Seeds; Job’s Tears.
Channels Entered: Spleen, Stomach and Lung.
- Promoting diuresis to resolve damp and invigorate the Spleen.
- Resolving dampness to treat Bi-Syndrome.
- Clears Damp-Heat.
- Clears Heat to help expel pus.
Indications: Clinically, it is used for the following:
- Spleen deficiency syndrome with accumulation of dampness manifested as dysuria, oedema and diarrhoea.
- Bi-syndrome with dominant dampness manifested as bodily heaviness and soreness, accompanied by rigidity of the limbs.
- Pulmonary and intestinal abscesses, particularly pulmonary abscess marked by a cough with thick sputum.
Dosage: 9 – 30g
Cautions and Contra-Indications: Use with caution during pregnancy.