Xiao Chai Hu Tang
English Name: Minor Bupleurum Decoction.
Category: Harmonising – Shao Yang Disharmony.
Function: To harmonise and relieve Shao Yang disorder.
Indications: Xiao Chai Hu Tang is used to treat febrile disease in the Shaoyang channels, marked by alternating chills and fever, bitter and dry mouth, sore throat, blurred vision, fullness in the chest/hypochondrium, irritability, nausea, dizziness, thirst and a lack of appetite. Commonly seen with common cold, influenza, chronic hepatitis, malaria, pleuritis.
Tongue and Pulse: Thin, white tongue coating and a wiry pulse.
- Chai Hu [Radix Bupleuri] – 12g
- Huang Qin [Radix Scutellariae] – 9g
- Ban Xia [Rhizoma Pinelliae] – 9g
- Ren Shen [Radix Ginseng] – 9g
- Zhi Gan Cao [Radix Glycyrrhizae Preperatae] – 6g
- Sheng Jiang [Rhizoma Zingiberis Recens] – 9g
- Da Zao [Fructus Ziziphi Jujubae] – 4 pieces
Cautions and Contra-Indications: Use with caution in patients with excess above and deficiency below, in patients with liver fire or rising Liver Yang and in cases of gum bleeding and vomiting of blood due to Yin deficiency.