Shan Zhu Yu (Fructus Corni) is the ripe pulp of Cornus officinalis Sieb. et Zucc. It is mostly grown in Zhejiang, Anhui, Shaanxi, Henan, Shandong and Sichuan provinces. The fruit is usually harvested from October to November when it becomes red.
Category: Stabilising and Binding.
Common Name: Cornus; Asiatic Cornelian Cherry Fruit.
Channels Entered: Liver and Kidney.
Properties and Functions: Shan Zhu Yu is sour in flavour and slightly warm in nature. Its functions are:
- Stabilise the Kidney and secure the Essence (Jing).
- Stops excessive sweating and supports that which has collapsed.
- Tonify and augment the Liver and Kidney.
- Stabilise the menses and stop bleeding.
Indications: The main clinical indications for use are:
- The leakage of fluids due to weak Essence – such as excessive urination, incontinence or spermatorrhoea.
- Excessive sweating – especially in cases of collapsed Yang and collapsed Qi, such as in cases of shock.
- Liver and Kidney deficiency manifesting as light-headedness, dizziness, sore and weak lower back and knees, or impotence.
- Deficient patterns of excessive uterine bleeding and prolonged menstruation.
Dosage: 3 – 12g
Cautions and Contra-Indications: Contra-indicated in cases with painful and difficult urination or for those with Damp-Heat.