Rou Gui (Cortex Cinnamomi) is from the bark of Cinnamomum cassia Presl, family Lauraceae. The bark is collected in the autumn and dried in the shdae. It is then cut into pieces or powdered before use.
Category: Interior Warming.
Common Name: Cinnamon Bark.
Channels Entered: Heart, Liver, Spleen and Kidney.
Properties and Functions: Rou Gui is pungent and sweet in flavour, and hot in nature. It has the following functions:
- Supplements Fire and strengthens Yang.
- Expels Cold and alleviates pain.
- Warms the channels to promote the circulation of Qi and Blood.
Indications: It is applied clinically for:
- Insufficency of Kidney Yang with impotence, chilliness, soreness and cold of the loins and knees, seminal emission and enuresis.
- Deficiency of Kidney Yang manifesting as flushed face and shortness of breath.
- The treatment of pain due to Cold and stagnation of Qi or Blood stasis.
- Yin-type boils, sores and abscesses that do not heal.
Dosage: 2 – 5g
Cautions and Contra-Indications: Contra-indicated for cases of bleeding due to Blood-Heat. Use with caution for hypermenorrhoea and during pregnancy.