Ren Shen (Radix Ginseng) is from the root of Panax ginseng C.A. Mey., family Araliceae. Wild ginseng is referred to as “Mountainous Ginseng”, while the cultivated variety is called “Garden Ginseng”. It is usually harvested in the autumn and can be processed in a number of ways: sun-dried, steamed or stir-baked with sugar. After processing, it is usually sliced for use.
Category: Tonifying – Qi Tonifying.
Common Name: Ginseng Root; Red Ginseng Root.
Channels Entered: Spleen, Lung and Heart.
Properties and Functions: Ren Shen is sweet and slightly bitter in flavour, and warm in nature. It has a number of functions, which are:
- Invigorates Kidney Qi.
- Strengthens the Qi of the Spleen and Lung.
- Tonifies the Lung and augments Qi.
- Promotes production of body fluids to quench thirst.
- Benefits Heart Qi and calms the mind to promote intelligence.
Indications: In clinical practice Ren Shen is used in the following ways:
- For collapse syndrome due to Qi-deficiency manifesting as shortness of breath, fatigue, feeble and weak pulse, and extreme weakness after disease, prolonged illness, heavy blood loss or severe vomiting.
- Deficiency of Spleen manifesting as fatigue, poor appetite, fullness in the upper abdomen or diarrhoea and Qi deficiency with generalised weakness.
- Lung-Qi deficiency with shortness of breath, weakness, weak pulse and spontaneous sweating.
- Diabetes with thirst due to consumption of body fluids, and febrile disease with consumption of qi and body fluids marked with excessive sweating, shortness of breath and weak or thin pulse.
- Deficiency of Qi and Blood failing to nourish the Heart manifesting as palpitation, amnesia, insomnia and weakness.
- Can be used together with Yang tonics to treat impotence due to Kidney deficiency.
Dosage: 5 – 10g
Cautions and Contra-Indications: Ren Shen is incompatible with Lilu, Wu Ling Zhi and Zao Jia. The use of this herb is contra-indicated for the following:
- Steaming bone disorder.
- Bleeding due to Blood-Heat.
- Rising Liver-yang.
- Fire due to deficiency.
- Avoid consumption of caffeine and other stimulants.