Li Zhong Wan
English Name: Regulate the Middle Pill.
Category: Interior Warming.
Functions: To warm the Middle Jiao, expel Cold and tonify the Spleen (Yang) and Stomach.
Indications: Li Zhong Wan is clinically indicated for:
- Cases of Cold in the Middle Jiao, presenting with watery diarrhoea with undigested food, no thirst, cold in the abdomen, cold limbs, nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain.
- Bleeding syndromes due to Yang deficiency.
Tongue and Pulse: The tongue is pale with a white coating and the pulse is deep and thready.
- Ren Shen [Radix Ginseng] – 9g *
- Gan Jiang [Rhizoma Zingiberis] – 9g
- Zhi Gan Cao [Radix Glycyrrhizae Preparatae] – 9g
- Bai Zhu [Rhizoma Atractylodis Macrocephalae] – 9g
* In the modern usage of this formula, Ren Shen is usually substituted with Dang Shen [Radix Codonopsis] at a dosage between 18 – 27g. Ren Shen is generally only used in acute cases.
Cautions and Contra-Indications: Use of this formula is contra-indicated in cases of Exterior Wind-Heat invasion or Interior Heat with Yin deficiency.