Ku Shen (Radix Sophorae Flavescentis) is from the root of Sophora flavescens Ait., family Leguminosae. It is produced widely across China. It is normally collected in spring or autumn, cut into pieces and then dried in the sun. It is used in its crude, unprocessed form.
Category: Heat Clearing and Damp Eliminating.
Common Name: Sophora Root.
Channels Entered: Liver, Stomach, Large Intestineand Bladder.
- Clear Heat and dry Dampness.
- Disperses Wind and alleviates itching.
- Promotes urination and kills worms.
Indications: Clinical indications include:
- Dysentery of Damp-Heat type and jaundice with brownish urine.
- Pruritus vulvae, eczema and chronic itching with bleeding or seepage. Vaginal discharge.
- Stranguria and dysuria of Damp-Heat type.
Dosage: 3 – 9g
Cautions and Contra-Indications: Contra-indicated for deficiency and cold of the Spleen and Stomach. It antagonises Tu Si Zi, Chuan Bei Mu and Zhe Bei Mu. It is incompatible with Li Lu.