Ju Hua (Flos Chrysanthemi) is from the flower of the perennial herbaceous plant Chrysanthemum morifolium Ramat, family Compositae. The medicinal material is collected at the end of autumn and the early stages of winter and then dried in the shade.
Category: Exterior Releasing.
Common Name: Chrysanthemum flower.
Channels Entered Lung and Liver.
Properties and Functions: Ju Hua is pungent, bitter and sweet in flavour, and slightly cold in nature. It acts to expel Wind-Heat, clear Liver-Fire to treat eye disease and also eliminates toxic substances.
Indications: Ju Hua is used clinically for:
- External Wind-Heat syndrome or early stage of seasonal febrile disease manifesting as fever, headache and cough.
- Red, painful and swollen eyes and blurred vision. This is the same whether the syndrome is of deficiency or excess type.
- Wind-Heat attacking the Liver resulting in red, swollen and painful eyes.
- Deficiency of Liver and Kidney with blurred vision.
- Dizziness and headache due to hyperactivity of Liver-Yang.
- Boils and toxic swellings such and carbuncles and furuncles.
Dosage: 5 – 15g
Cautions and Contra-Indications: None.