Huo Xiang (Herba Pogostemonis)
Huo Xiang (Herba Pogostemonis) is sourced from the aerial parts of the perennial herb Pogostemon cabin (Blanco) Benth. The harvested medicial material is cut into segments and used either fresh or dried.
Category: Damp resolving or damp transforming.
Common Name: Patchouli or Pogostemon.
Channels Entered: Spleen, Stomach and Lung.
Properties and Functions: Huo Xiang (Herba Pogostemonis) is pungent and slightly warm in nature. Its main functions are:
- Dispelling dampness and releasing the exterior.
- Harmonising the middle jiao to stop nausea and vomiting.
- Treats dermatosis.
Indications: The main clinical indications for its use are:
- Dampness and qi stagnation obstructing the middle jiao, summer-heat dampness and warmth-dampness.
- Nausea, vomiting and morning sickness.
- Dermatosis affecting either the hands or feet.
Dosage: 3 – 15g
Cautions and Contra-Indications: This herb is contra-indicated for cases presenting with blazing fire from yin deficiency.