He Shou Wu (Radix Polygoni Multiflori) is from the root tuber of Polygonum multiflorum Thunb., family Polygonaceae. The medicinal material is produced widely throughout China and is usually collected in autumn and winter. It is cleaned, cut into slices and then dried in the sun. It is used in this crude form or in prepared form and repeatedly steaming with the juice of black soy beans. This prepared form is given the prefix Zhi.
Category: Tonifying – Blood Tonifying.
Common Name: Fleeceflower Root or Processed Fleeceflower Root.
Channels Enetered: Heart, Liver and Kidney.
- Tonifying the Liver and Kidney to nourish the Blood and augment the essence.
- Expels Wind from the skin by nourishing Blood.
Indications: He Shou Wu is commonly used for treating:
- Insufficiency of essence and Blood manifesting as dizziness, insomnia, premature whitening of the hair, seminal emission and sallow or pale complexion.
- For Qi and Blood deficiency.
- Wind rashes due to Blood deficiency.
Dosage: 6 – 12g