Ge Gen (Radix Puerariae) is souced from the roots of Pueraria lobata (Willd.), family Leguminosae. It is produced all over China. The medicinal material is collected in spring and autumn, cut into pieces and then sun-dried. It is used in this raw form or sometimes after stewing.
Category: Exterior Releasing.
Common Name: Pueraria; Kudzu Root.
Channels Entered: Spleen and Stomach.
Properties and Functions: Ge Gen is sweet and pungent in flavour and cool in nature. It acts to expel pathogenic factors in the muscles to clear Heat, vent rashes and nourish the fluids to stop thirst. It also works to raise Yang-Qi and alleviate diarrhoea.
Indications: The clinical indications for Ge Gen include:
- Wind-Heat syndrome manifesting as aversion to cold with fever, headache, stiffness or tightness of the upper back and dryness of the nose.
- It is also commonly used to treat superficial Wind-Cold syndrome with pain and stiffness of the neck and upper back in formulas such as Ge Gen Tang.
- Early stage measles with unsmooth eruption.
- Febrile disease with excessive thirst and internal Heat.
- Damp-Heat type dysentery with diarrhoea or diarrhoea due to Spleen deficiency.
Cautions and Contra-Indications: N/A.