Che Qian Zi (Semen Plantaginis) is the mature seed of the perennial herbaceous plant Plantago asiatica L. or P. depressa Willd. of family Aginaceae. The medicinal material is produced throughout China. It is collected in the summer and autumn when ripe and used mainly in its crude form. It can also be processed by parching in salt water.
Category: Damp Resloving / Diuretic.
Common Name: Plantago Seed.
Channels Entered: Lung, Liver, Kidney and Bladder.
- Promotes urination and clears Damp–Heat.
- Resolves Dampness to stop diarrhoea.
- Clears Liver-Fire to benefit the eyes.
- Clears Lung-Heat to resolve Phlegm and stop cough.
Indications: Che Qian Zi is used in the treatment of:
- Any type of oedema with painful urinary dribbling due to Damp-Heat and generalised Damp-Heat affecting the lower jiao.
- Diarrhoea due to either Damp-Heat or Damp-Summer Heat.
- Conjunctivitis due to flaring Liver-Fire; diminished visual acuity due to Liver and Kidney Yin deficiency; red, painful and swollen eyes with photosensitivity due to Heat in the Liver channel.
- Cough due to Lung-Heat with copious yellow sputum.
Dosage: 9 – 15g